The University of Massachusetts Department of Music and Dance announces:
The First Five College Composition Contest & Festival of New Music (September 11 to September 13 2009)
Call for Scores:
– Composers under the age of thirty-five are invited to submit compositions for consideration to the First Five College Composition Contest. Instrumentation should consist of any of Flute (alto and piccolo), Clarinet (Bass Clarinet), Violin, Violoncello, Piano and Percussion. Works that employ live performance with electronics and works that involve projected visual media are acceptable.
– Works composed before September 1, 2006 will not be considered.
– The due date for scores is March 29, 2009. Only one score per applicant is allowed.
– At the time of the application composers should submit one score and a set of performance materials. Compact disc recordings, if available may also be submitted are not required. A cover sheet with your name, address, telephone and email address and the title of your composition is required.
– Please include a self-addressed envelope with proper postage if you wish your material to be returned.
– Only one winner will be chosen.
– A $35 check made payable to the Department of Music and Dance, UMass Amherst must accompany all applications.
– Address all submissions to:
Prof. Salvatore Macchia
Five College New Music Festival
Department of Music and Dance
The University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst MA, 01002
The winner will receive a cash award of $1000 (one thousand) and his or her piece will be presented as part of an “Emerging Composers Concert” that will be held on Saturday September 12, 2009.
Amin Honarmand says
I was wondering when you will announce the result of the composition competition.
You can check out this year results here: http://www.5cnmf.com/