The University of Illinois School of Music and Global Crossroads Living-Learning Community celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Salvatore Martirano Memorial Composition Award by announcing the 2016 competition.
The 2016 Salvatore Martirano Memorial Composition Award
Eligibility: Any composer, regardless of age or nationality is eligible. Previous winners, faculty, and currently-enrolled students at the University of Illinois are ineligible for the competition.
Awards: First Prize cash award of $1000 and second prize cash award of $500 plus performances by the Illinois Modern Ensemble in September of 2016 on the 20th Anniversary Martirano Award Concert at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts on the campus of the University of Illinois. Additional awards and performances may be given at the discretion of the judges.
Judges: A panel of judges consisting of international composers and University of Illinois music composition faculty members will select the winning compositions. The winning composers are expected to attend the 20th anniversary award concert and reception, and will be responsible for their transportation costs (the competition will provide lodging and some meals). The winning composers will assume full responsibility for providing adequate performance materials upon request.
1. Medium: Full scores of any style or aesthetic direction for 1-15 performers (including vocalists) may be submitted. Works for electronics and/or mixed media (including video), with or without instruments and voices, are eligible.
2. Duration: 20 minutes maximum
3. Limit: One entry per composer
4. Entry fee: A non-refundable entry fee of twenty US dollars (20.00 USD) is paid online at the time of submission. All major credit cards are accepted.
5. Anonymous Submission: The composer’s name must not appear on the score or in any accompanying materials submitted online.
Entries must be submitted and paid for online by Friday, April 15, 2016 11:59PM CST (23:59 GMT-0600).
For more information and to submit scores go to: