June 5, 2007 at 4:41 pm #23773
Over the past few years I’ve gotten really into the experimental scene in Norway. Has anybody checked this out? They definitely seem to be more interested in creating moods and atmospheres over there than bands in America, for example. One band in particular that I really like is "In the Country". I think you can check them out at http://www.inthecountry.no
CaseyJune 5, 2007 at 7:56 pm #35210
Very interesting band. Dark and Happy at the same time.
I started listening to "Every One Live Their Life", and my first impression was that they sounded a little like Radiohead, but then the music went somewhere else. It has some jazz influence as well (for a moment I thought about a Bill Frisell record I have).
Very cool. European bands definitely have a different concept.
Any other recommendations from Norway?June 5, 2007 at 10:52 pm #35211
1) Wibutee- (pronounced wee-booty) They blend Electronica and Jazz pretty well. They also use some interesting instrumentation (they use Melodica a lot)
2) Kobert- these guys are very jazz influenced but I can’t even explain their style. It’s just really cool, check it out.
3) Fattigfolket – they’re from all kinds of different places including Norway. They stick to a mostly jazzy style, but again; it’s all about atmosphere, mood and tension and release. Very cool sax playing.
4) Damp – they are mostly experimental, but it does have a healthy jazz element as well.
My favorites are definitely In the Country and Kobert. Hope you enjoy!June 6, 2007 at 5:39 pm #35212
Great, I’ll check them out. Thanks!
How did you hear about these bands from Norway? Myspace, a friend or just browsing around?
I’m really not up to date with what’s going on with rock music today.
It’s good to know there are good things going on.June 7, 2007 at 2:01 pm #35213
I actually just found them while I was browsing around ON Myspace haha My favorite band ever is The Frames (they’re the biggest band in Ireland right now), so I was searching for some other great bands in Europe and I guess I stumbled upon all these groups. Most of them are friends with each other, which is pretty interesting. What about you? Any favorite groups or anything?June 7, 2007 at 9:11 pm #35214
Well, I have to say I don’t know a lot of newer bands. I’m pretty much into stuff like Zappa, Radiohead, Bjork. I do like heavier music as well, I used to be a big Mr. Bungle fan, but I’ve been listening mainly to jazz and contemporary classical music for the past years.
But I come back to my rock roots every now and then.June 8, 2007 at 9:34 am #35215
I hear ya. Sometimes it’s nice to put Mahler down and listen to a little Hendrix or something hahaJune 8, 2007 at 12:48 pm #35216
Exactly. Why choose when you can have everything!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.